Fiction writers–are you consistent with your writing? Our guest, fiction writer Kyle Woods, shares how he approaches his writing and the power behind his philosophy of “read every day, write every day.”
Born in New Orleans, Kyle has had a variety of different jobs and creative pursuits, from sous chef and pedicab driver to stand-up comic and actor. Throughout it all, however, Kyle wanted to write, and he eventually dedicated himself to fiction.
Tune into the podcast to catch some of Kyle’s crazy stories, learn about his creative process, and to hear how his love of Muay Thai has impacted his art.
In today’s episode, you’ll learn…
- Kyle’s writing rules
- How to maintain focus as a creative
- Dealing with self pressure and writer’s block
- His approach to historical accuracy in fiction
- The connection between martial arts and creative work
“…If you’re gonna sit down to write, you owe the writing your absolute attention and focus.”
“…part of the thing with…handwriting every morning with no screens, is it actually gives my brain a certain way to approach the day.”
“It’s like you start like, you know, Civil War ships and…you’re watching like lizard people invade Mars and you’re like, how did this happen…”
“There’s that idea in martial arts of like embracing your fear, not so much turning your back on it because if you turn your back on it, it’s, it’s bound to find you in one way or another.”
“You gotta find that creative outlet first and foremost. And then once you find it, you have to dedicate yourself to it and consistently chip away and consistently work towards it.”
CONNECT WITH KYLE WOODS
- WEB: https://kmwoodsauthor.com/
- INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/kmwoodsauthor/
WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU
If you liked this episode, I would love your feedback! Please subscribe and leave us a review in Apple Podcasts. I would love to thank you in an upcoming episode! 🙂
Please connect with us on our social channels.
- YOUTUBE (watch excerpts from the show): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWpwCpfHcSZJgxyVWbUiORQ
- INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/adamtoporek/
- FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/adamtoporekartist